Monday, July 25, 2011

The Next


I've talked a little about EverQuest 1 and how that game has influenced me. It may seem kind of stupid, but when you're as big of a nerd as I am, games can really touch you.  The game hasn't just influenced me in gaming, it's influenced my writing and my imagination tremendously as well.

I'm really stoked or EverQuest Next. EverQuest2 was kind of a let down. When it first came out it had a shoddy class branching system. The leveling was boring, and the game wasn't that great to look at.  Giving it credit, it's graphics were far ahead of its time... when it came out, and some people still have trouble running it at full capacity.

EverQuest 2 is still a great game in my eyes. The changes that it underwent to bring about its AA system, the betrayal, the ability to play as any class/race combination. I really liked what the game was offering. As I played through though, the amount of skills it gives you gets a bit tiresome. My berserker at level 60 had about 12 combat skills that I used every single fight, and a large number of others for different situations.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I liked having a lot to do... but at when I played my monk, my assassin, and my shadowknight... I failed to see much of a difference as far as play style.  Now you'd think with how simple EQ1 was it wouldn't matter... but as times change so do I, and unfortunately I crave more.
I still love EQ2... but with any MMO at all, I get super bored playing solo.

Yeah I make friends online. I make tons. Usually I'll end up with several actually. The issue is that they end up out leveling me, or I out level them... (there's mentoring in EQ2 so it's not as big of a deal) and it's just hard to match play times especially with my chaotic schedule. So I play for a while, and I get bored of playing alone, and I quit.

EverQuest 1 I actually went back to about a year ago and resubscribed. I played from level 1 to 60 by myself and was having a blast until my paid time ran out. Back at that time I had no money to keep going... And when I had the money to start playing again, my friends talked me into picking WoW back up and started a subscription for me.

Anyway this isn't about my life story of MMO's, no one cares, but EverQuest Next is getting me going.  Apparently there's not too much information about it out right now, but from what I can find I'm still ridiculously excited. I'm talking pre-order, first of many logged in the day it goes live, making a Dark Elf Shadowknight ready to kill some snakes or something.

There's little to find about the game, but what the lead designer is going is something different, from what he's saying. I've been able to find two "in game art" pictures, and a few quotes. Looks like they're going to be designing the game with EQ1 (YAY!!!) as the influence more than EQ2. Says it's going to be more of a reimaging than a direct sequel.

Now this excites and scares me. Basically they're saying they're redoing EQ1. This could be great, and this could also suck tremendously. They're also going to be building it from the ground up with more PVP in mind. They're looking to deliver the story line in some other manner than dialogue boxes. I'm hoping this means they're looking to abolish the whole quest grinding aspect that every MMO has adopted.

All in all I guess there's really not too much more to say other than I'm trying not to pee myself with excitement. SOE has done some stupid things lately, but also some redeeming things as well... So I'm really on the fence about how I feel, but my excitement takes over and I just hope the game takes off. Because lord knows I'll be playing the hell out of it... At least when it first comes out.

It's going to be hard to beat the feeling of sitting in my brother's room trying desperately to stay quiet as to not annoy him as I watch him raid. Killing dragons, giants, and ice dwarves. Then when he goes to bed being stupidly excited to log onto my low level characters and set up camps in The Overthere and the Deserts of Ro. Here's to hoping.

Check out my sources for possibilities of additional info or clarification.
Sources:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=19260
http://www.1up.com/news/soe-announces-everquest-next

No comments:

Post a Comment