Thursday, July 28, 2011

Dead Island


So I watched some game play footage of Dead Island today, and I realize it's been around for a while now but I never had taken a look. I've got to say it's a little different than what I was expecting...

From watching the trailer, which you can watch here, it looked like it was going to be pretty intense. Also I had read somewhere a while ago that it was going to be melee weapons only. Apparently that was wrong, or they changed their minds, because there are in fact guns. It looks like the main point of combat is still going to be melee though.

Saw some of the crafting as well. Not much, but enough to see that it works a little like Dead Rising, but more in depth. You can combine items/weapons you find to make new ones, and repair your current melee weapons as well.

The combat is a bit more arcade than I was expecting as well. There are different points on the body that you can attack, but it all seems a bit arcade-like. It reminded Slib of Borderlands, the way there's elemental weapons and the damage pops up. Not that this is a bad thing, but it's just not what I was thinking it would be.

I was actually kind of expecting the game to be a bit more realistic than Left 4 Dead or Killing Floor, but from the video I saw they did say it isn't hack-n-slash. Actually, from what he said, hack-n-slash will get you killed because you'll just run out of stamina. Also there's quests apparently... Objectives are always cool, but I'm a bit jaded on questing thanks to current MMO's.

Also... it's going to be ported to PC from console... Not my favorite.
Looks like it's going to be pretty fun. Right now I'm just kind of hoping it doesn't suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment