Thursday, August 4, 2011

Gamer Respect


Have you ever noticed that we gamers almost have a secret society?

You look at someone differently once you find out they're a gamer.

Ever meet someone, and your first impression isn't the best, then you realize they're a gamer and suddenly they're awesome? Or you don't even know this guy you were just introduced to, but you think he's a badass because you found out he played the same games growing up as you did?

Hell yeah! This guy played EverQuest back in the day when I did! He's even talking about how the game was so much better before Luclin. He definitely knows what he's talking about.

Yeah... Gamers are as thick as thieves, and just as untrustworthy. We're really good at sticking together... Erm, as well as attacking each other... For some reason we're just not always as friendly online. I think it's the fact that as soon as we're pitted against each other we stop realizing what we have in common as people.

Now I can't tell. Are we friends or enemies? Frenemies? Yeah... Gamers are frenemies. Everything's all fine and dandy, and the guy is cool because he played EverQuest when you did... until you realize he played an Erudite. Ugh... Suddenly I hate this guy. Who does he think he is? I wish I could PK him right now.

We gamers have an exceptionally strange social build. We're friends or enemies over the stupidest things. I legitimately don't like people that play Alliance. Why? Because I played Horde.

That's my reason? Seriously? Ugh... But I can't help it. It's how we're wired. You kill, decimate, and conquer your enemies, and you stand by your allies... until they start spamming in chat. Or roll on your gear. Or rip you off... 

I guess my point is that Gamer Respect is kind of... random. You never know who may turn their back on you for virtual items. Or talk shit over their mic on Xbox Live or Playstation Network just because you're on the other team. Or, high five you because you play on the same server and didn't even know it.

2 comments:

  1. I played alliance for the majority of my WoW career... But I assume I make up for this immense failure by being hugely witty and ludicrously dashing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, here is me finding out someone I know in real life played PlanetSide...

    "Oh hey, you played PS too? That's awesome..."

    *Shit I have to find out what faction this person played... there's a two in three chance I'm going to have to cut this person's throat, dissolve their flesh in a vat of acid, and feed the bones to a half dozen pigs...
    Fuck. He's thinking exactly what I am... Look at him, sizing me up, trying to read my thoughts... I bet he already knows where he's going to bury me... I bet he played on the gods damned Terran Republic... or maybe he's a filthy Vanu Sovereignty whore-son. Right. Moment of truth. I will gladly kill, or die, for the noble New Conglomerate, may their glorious ideals stand steadfast throughout the wild arena of human destiny!*

    both of us at once: LONG LIVE THE NEW CONGLOMERATE!

    And then we were friends forever.

    And then we had some soup.

    And then we ate the bowl.

    ReplyDelete